Friday, February 1, 2008

Mid-Life Crisis already?

Just tried running again for the first time in what seems, and my knees are telling me, is ages.
Why? Well, I'm 32 and, although I take care of myself, I'm not in the kind of shape I want to be.
And I used to love my running and be damn good at it.
(Of course, I used to love driving down the interstate at 120 miles an hour, weaving through cars with inches to spare, and I was obviously good at THAT, too, or I wouldn't be typing this now. But I didn't roll out of bed this morning and try THAT, now did I? Nooooo....for one thing, I know a 10yr old S-10 with a 4cyl engine and over 100,000 miles on it will explode before reaching 95, never mind 120. For another, I'm smarter. Um...right, ask my knees about that.)
What I FAILED to consider when remembering that I used to be a nationally-ranked runner were the factors involved.
THEN I was 6'3" and 145 pounds soaking wet, and between 16-20 years old.
That was BEFORE I blew out both knees playing rugby, before I broke my right foot, and before putting a hairline fracture in my left hip.
I was also not 32 years old and 195-200 pounds.
So, what on earth prompted me to go out and run three miles, thinking I could still do it in 15min like the old days?
Vanity, probably. I have an old friend getting married in May, and, like I said, I'm not in the hape I once was. I'm in better shape than HE is, but...as one of the few of my friends that is still single, I should be in the best shape, right? Suure. I will NOT give up, because I DO want to be in better shape....but I think I might take a whole lot of Ibuprofen before heading out jogging sunday....and for the record, I did my FIRST mile in 6:30 this morning....second was closer to 9 min and the last something like 13.....course I was limping and listing to one side...lol. So, the moral of the story is, listen to your body, not your mind. It LIES to you, lmao.
MEDIC!

No comments:

Post a Comment