Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Never Meet your Heroes

They say that you should never meet your heroes, because they will only let you down. Besides my dad, I can honestly say I've never really had any heroes, and my dad has never let me down. But I did have one major influence on my life outside of my family (of which my friends count). There was one man who, from the time I read his first novel in 1984, inspired a drive in me, made me want to be, if not on his level, at least in his constellation. That man wrote the novels that helped to shape the youths of many of my friends, and millions across the globe. Sadly, he passed away last night at the age of 66, quite young for someone with such a large impact. I was among the lucky that got to meet mr Tom Clancy back in 2001, after the unpleasantness of the 9-11 attacks. If you've ever read any of my writing, you'll know just how much the world this man created has meant to me. Rest in Peace, Mr Clancy, you will certainly be missed. Your physical form may have passed on, but your work makes you immortal.

No comments:

Post a Comment