Monday, June 7, 2010

Ramble Time.....some things age a man

Some days, like today, I start to feel my age.

Sorry, Catrina, you're right...it has NOTHING to do with our age ;)

I hit the batting cages today, like I do at least once a week, and took 100 pitches each way. Yes, I am ambidextrous and can hit left or right. Because of the heat and humidity in Florida this time of year, I was well sheeted by the time I got done. I had that nice glowing soreness you get from a good workout.....until I drove home.
Getting out of my truck, my whole lower back twinged, sending a shooting pain right up my spine. Oh, right...I'm not 16 anymore and can't just work out for two hours, then wedge my tall ass into my truck and expect there not to be side effects.
(For those that follow this blog and have never met me, I'm the same size but opposite shape of Michael Phelps. I'm 6'3", 210lbs, with the legs of a guy 6'8" tall and the torso of a 5'7" person. All legs, that's me. Oh...and Monkey arms. I have a 30 inch waist and 37 inch inseam with size 15 wide feet. But I can easily wear a medium t-shirt. Now you have an idea of what someone who is all legs looks like driving a 1998 S10. I CAN easily drive with my knees, should I feel the need.)
And, unfortunately, I haven't always been nice to my body. I've always been active, intramural football, basketball, track, mountain biking, soccer, and rugby all took their toll on me in younger years. And it's said that people with longer limbs have more issues as they age.
That and my physical recovery from the nearly two months of inactivity after my surgery in December is a lot slower than it would once have been.

I used to spend my off days hanging out with friends, but that was before I moved to Florida and before the military scattered us to the four winds. These days, Steve is my geographically closest friend, and he's all the way over in Orlando, so we don't tend to see each other as often as we'd like. That being said, whenever I go on vacation, in whatever state (And quite a few countries) I might decide to visit, I always have a friend there. I'm one of those people who travels more to see people than places. Though there is no doubt I tend to photograph the hell out of the places I end up at with those people. Ask Jye, Perry, or Nellie about that, lol.

Speaking of friends, was talking to a couple of my friends over the phone about the last nine months of being unemployed, and some of the side effects thereof. Not that I ever had the most robust dating life to begin with, but it has completely dried up lately.

I was never one to be dating all that frequently, mainly because I am extremely blunt, upfront, and honest with everyone, and, sorry ladies, but though you SAY you want a guy to be honest with you, very very few of you really do. And I don't play games. If I like you, I lay it out there and let you know. Ask any of my friends, they all know and can tell you stories! Since unemployment however, my honesty and bluntness have worked against me even more than ever. Never a big one for trying lines on women, I just KNOW that walking up to someone and going, "Hey I think you're amazing. You like unemployed single men in their mid thirties who have had to move back in with their parents??"

I know, HOTT, right? How am I not beating them off with a stick?

Though, that last statement, honestly, is probably WHY I ever got dates in the first place. I've always had a HUGE sense of humour and can make anyone laugh......even when they are having the worst day of their life. As Steve has said on more than one occasion when having a shit day...."Make me laugh, bitch." And I do. Every time.

Unemployment itsel, troo, is starting to weigh on my mind a lot. The first three or four months was fun, as I finally got to catch up on my reading and re-adjust to a normal sleep schedule. Now, after more than 300 applications and probably a dozen interviews, I'm starting to get worried about the possibility of getting a job that pays enough not to starve on.

So with all these things, the unemployment, my body slowing down, the being single and separated from my friends....combine them and, on occasion, I really start to feel my age.....even if I tend to refuse to act it. Don't get me wrong, though, I'm not depressed, in fact, I'm as happy as I have been in quite some time, I'm just....wishing I were younger and less introspective about things all the time lately.

Oh...look....that thing's shiny and has a lot of lights....I'll be back......

No comments:

Post a Comment