Sunday, March 14, 2010

TICO photojournal

Yesterday I drove across the state to the TICO Warbird airshow in Titusville. I took a LOOOT of photos, go figure, but I'm just gonna drop some of my favorites of the highlights on ya. For those who were paying attention, I had been invited to hang out with the guys from Starfighters, the F-104 Demo team. Due to the really high winds and the F-104's runway length needs (22mph crosswind on the only runway that can handle the F-104), this ended up not happening. But it kicked ass for them to offer!!!

Again, just a reminder. I don't use autofocus when I shoot. Everything you see here is a combo of ability, timing.....and luck ;)
But if I do say so.....I'm getting pretty good at this.
And for those who want to know, I use a Sony Alpha A200K, and for the airborne shots I had a 70-300mm Quantaray zoom lens on it. The action was WAY too close to use Bertha.

First off, a couple of the birds on static:

Under the TA-4J's nose.

They finally got the TA-4J Skyhawk II restored. She looks good. Purely static, of course.

NASA F-5E Tiger II, heavily modified to monitor sonic boom tests for DARPA

T-28C Trojan trainer

A VERY reflective BT-13A Valiant

FM-1 Wildcat
Lockheed L-12 Electra Junior. Shiny.
In addition to the planes, there was also a car show. A lot smaller than last year, but here were a nice trio.

Steve, I tried, I really did. But they wouldn't believe I had a friend that really needed this 1968 hunter Green Camaro SS 396 more than they did.

Dodge Warlock.
Jim, how's about THIS one???

The Ferrari F430. No they wouldn't let me play. Damnit.

At about 1300, the airshow itself began.

Old Glory dropping in. The wind was at 22 mph and he landed WELL away from the airfield. He's actually being dragged backwards in this shot.

They did a Vietnam pilot rescue re-enactment. This Cessna O-1 Bird Dog came by and did a very short field landing, having been 'shot down"

So the UH-1H Iroquis 'Huey" came in to the rescue.

About to touch down.
B-25B Mitchell "Killer B"

B-25J Mitchell "Panchito" Oh yeah, TWO B-25s circling the field!!

Hey, that's Liz! P-51D Mustang "Sizzlin' Liz"

High bank for the C-47A Skytrain "Tico Belle"

Oh, okay. Those are nice but you want jets? Ok, I've got jets for ya.

L-39 Albatros roars by

L-29 Delfin with 78 year young "Beetle" Bailey at the controls

T-33 Shooting Star profile pass.
What's that? Ok....You want something a bit more....exciting? Newer? Gotcha. Try this on....

The F/A-18E Super Hornet kicks a Viking takeoff

Let's crank a little

Low-Ri-Dah.....no he did not just take off, this was the Low Pass.....and as you can see, he was LOW

A-10C Thunderbolt II showing off The Devil's Cross

Low, Slow, and Dirty for the aircraft nicknamed "Warthog"
Heritage Flight:

From the right......

.....then the left......

aaaand break!!!!
A-10C and F-86 Heritage Flight

Ladies and Gentlemen, from the right, Dale Snodgrass and the F-86 Sabre's high speed pass!!

You liked them, but want a nice parting shot???

Oh Yeah.......BOOOM! You thought the F/A-18E was low?

See you all next week for the MacDill Air Show with the Blue Angels ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment