Friday, March 5, 2010

Well Flocking Seagulls!

Well, EVERYONE knows I had an interview this morning over in Clearwater.
Those same everyones know it didn't go so well....but here's the story.
So, I drove the 35 miles over to the Aflac regional office address that the lady who called to set up the interview had given me. The interview was scheduled for 1100hrs, i showed up at 1030. Door was locked.
Ohhh-kay.
I called the two contact numbers I had and got voicemail, left messages on both.
I've had better beginnings to interviews.
1100 rolls around, still no one has showed up, but for shiggles I try the office door again. Nope, still locked.
Groovy.
So I call the first contact number again. Jackie answers, and sounding a bit sarcastic, thanks me for verifying the time of the interview.
I wiped that smugness right off her face and out of her voice with my next statement.
"I'm fully aware that my interview is at 11, which it is now past, but I've been at your office since 1030 and no one is answering the door, and you didn't answer the phone the first time i called half an hour ago."
More meekly, she asks me where I am.
I give her the address that the other woman had given me.
Apologetically, Jackie tells me the other woman gave me the wrong address, and that I am clear across town from the right one, which she gives me.
Now annoyed, I make it to the other side of Clearwater, near the airport, in under ten minutes.
I walk in and both Jackie and the Regional Manager, Tomas House, look shocked to see me.
I'm not sure if it is the speed at which I got there or that the black suit over black shirt with sunglasses and bald head (and Spider-Man tie) makes me look like a Hitman.
Granted, one with Geek leanings, but still.
I'm past caring. Instead of being nervous for the interview, I'm now sensing I may have walked into a FUBAR situation, because if the address information was wrong, what else was misleading about the info I got on the phone?
Turns out, everything.
So I grab Tom's proffered hand and squeeze till the desk jockey looks uncomfortable, then tell him am sorry they gave me the wrong address but I am here to interview for the B2B Field Representative position, which I had been told involved setting up presentations for employers that already use Alfac about what packages Aflac has for their employees on a quarterly basis. Basically, PR work.
At least Tom managed to look chagrined.
Seems that information was relayed incorrectly too. The job they had open was for a commission based Aflac salesman that would hump around to Tampa businesses trying to get them to adopt the quackers as their company health plan.
Uh-huh. Since I'd driven all that way anyway, I decided to humor him.
"Pitch me." I told him.
He's a sales guy, he'd know what that meant.
So he told me.
If I wanted the job, first I would have to get a health and annuities license from Florida, out of my OWN pocket.
Folks, that's $400.
Then, I would be assigned a trainer who would take 3-4 months to show me the ropes. But, since everything is commission based and there are no salaries, this is 3-4 months of unpaid training.
"Well Tom, I understand why you have to lie on the phone to get people to interview for this position. Let me get this straight. I have to put in UNPAID time and MY OWN MONEY before I can even be considered an employee here?"
Apparently Tom isn't used to my brand of subtlety.
He looked surprised that I didn't think this was the best deal ever, and told me I had the information correct.
I picked his hand up off the table, thanked him for his time, and left.

I hope no one else falls for this shit, and I know damn well anyone who reads this blog won't.

Since I knew the interview was in Clearwater, i had packed a bag with trunks, a muscle shirt, a beach towel, a couple frisbees and my camera.
Knowing I was WAY too pissed to drive through the moronic traffic back to Tampa, I hit the beach.

First shot I took after changing from Hitman to Beach Bum outfits. Never even saw the seagull until I transferred the photos to the laptop.

62 degrees, very few clouds, and damned windy. But fun to look at, no?

Speaking of fun to look at....A bunch of seaweed made my walking around barefoot interesting. Notice the differences in attire! I saw everything from bikinis to parkas...and combinations all in between. And yes, I noticed she has a nice....tattoo....

Artsy shots of the Lifeguard shack and some palms and dune! No one was in the water....can't blame them, I walked in till it was up to my ankles and jumped out. Water PROBABLY in the 50s...
I just like the framing of the above shot. Though you need a drink in hand when looking at it.
Pier 60
This hardy soul was parasailing......water needs to be about 30deg warmer before I'd try that.
Spent a good 2 1/2 hours at the beach, and was finally woo-sah'd enough to drive back to Tampa. Overall, a good afternoon compensated for a craptastic morning.

5 comments:

  1. Worcestershire is here - oh yes! ;-)

    What a total waste of time that interview was: idiots. I'm really glad that the afternoon more than made up for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, well, some companies are just.....slimy.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're better off out of there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You say that like it's something I don't know ;)

    ReplyDelete